TESTING The Art of Destruction
Software Testing is a process of evaluating a system by manual or automatic means and verify that it satisfies specified requirements or identify differences between expected and actual results in Test.
- Software Test is the process of operating a system or component under specified conditions, observing or recording the results and making an evaluation of some aspect of the system or component.
- “Software test is an empirical technical investigation conducted to provide stakeholders with information about the quality of the product or service under test”
- Empirical – derived from experiment, experience, and observation
- Technical – Having special skill or practical knowledge
- Investigation – A detailed inquiry or systematic examination
Most Common Software problems
- Wrong calculation
- Wrong data edits & ineffective data edits
- Wrong matching and adding of data
- Data searches that yields incorrect results
- Wrong process of data relationship
- Incorrect coding / implementation of business rules
- Inadequate software performance
- Confusing or incorrect data
- Software usability by end users & Obsolete Software
- Inconsistent processing
- Unreliable results or performance
- Inadequate support of business needs
- Incorrect or unmatchable interfaces with other systems
- bad performance and security controls
- Incorrect file handling
Types of testing
The aim of test is not only to test the end product but any other intermediate non-executable work products produced by SDLC. It is broadly divided into two forms:
Verification – typically involves reviews and meeting to evaluate documents, plans, code, requirements, and specifications. This can be done with checklists, issues lists, walkthroughs, and inspection meeting.
Validation – typically involves actual testing and takes place after verifications are completed.
Validation and Verification process continue in a cycle till the software becomes defects free.